Home

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Dark Night Dawning Chapter 17


The next day, Arnav was on the first flight to Lucknow. He had Akash, Payal and the Guptas with him. Last night they had found Shyam via credit card transactions made by him. The store where he had made purchases happened to be a clothes store where highly priced items seemed to have been bought.
What was he up to?
He had then called the commissioner of police in Delhi, who had advised him to go to Lucknow and meet with the SP of the local police station and lodge a formal complaint. He had assured him that he would make sure that everything would go smoothly. Khushi’s dad would have to go along to give a statement.
It had felt good to talk to Anjali last night. After he had confessed all that had happened, his sister had tried to give him a rational explanation to such an irrational behaviour. She had attributed it to their troubled past. But how long would he keep running from the shadows of his past? He would make it up to her somehow. He just hoped she was alright.

As soon as they exited from the airport, Arnav turned toward Akash, ‘Akash, take uncle and aunty to their house first so that they can get some rest. After that take uncle and go to the police station and meet the SP so that you can lodge a formal complaint. They will be expecting us.’
Akash nodded his assent and then asked him, ‘What about you bhai?’
‘I am going to work with the PI, Mr Sharma and try to figure out Shyam’s location.Once I have an address I will let you know so that you can send the police there. ‘

Arnav drove the rental car toward the address of the store where Shyam had made the purchase. Mr Sharma was already in the vicinity with a photograph of Shyam asking nearby vendors if they had seen him. Just then Arnav received a message on his phone.
The credit card had just been used again!
Yesterday night he had set it up so that he would get an sms for any future transactions on the card. He called Mr Sharma and informed him about the new address.
‘That store is very close Mr Raizada, I will go there right away. I will let you know once I have him on my trail.’
After 10 minutes, Mr Sharma had called him and told him that Shyam had taken an autorikshaw and was on the Sitapur National Highway 24 toward IIM. He told him that he would call him back with further updates.After 15 minutes,just as Arnav had reached the highway, Mr Sharma called him and told him that he had found Shyam’s final destination and gave him the exact directions.

**
Shyam stepped into the house with his bags. He handed them over to the old couple and told them to start decorating the small hall with flowers. He took out all the items needed to perform the rites and arranged them neatly. He unlocked the door to Khushi’s room and stepped inside.
‘Khushiji,look here, I brought you a beautiful lehenga and matching jewellery for the wedding this evening.‘
‘I don’t want to get married to you!’
‘Do you know why I waited for a week Khushiji?’ Shyam grated out. ‘The panditji told me that today’s date was very auspicious. I didn’t want our wedding day to be on some random day. Did Arnav do that for you?Come out in 5 minutes so that we can start the haldi.’

**

After leaving the highway, Arnav entered a remote area with bad roads. As he went deeper he realized that there weren’t too many houses andthe area was heavily wooded with dense trees. Finally, he reached the spot where Mr Sharma was waiting for him. After Mr Sharma had pointed to the house some distance away, Arnav gave him Akash’s number and told him to call him and give him directions to the house.
‘Don’t you think it is better to wait for the police, Mr Raizada?’ suggested Mr Sharma, ‘It might get dangerous in there.’
Arnav looked at him, a steely look in his eyes, ‘My wife is in there Mr Sharma, I am not going to sit here twiddling my thumbs.’

**

Khushi came into the hall and quietly sat on the floor. She had tied the small broken piece of mirror in her dupatta. She couldn’t use it on him because she knew he would overpower her in seconds. There was only one other option. She would use it on herself ……when she finally lost her nerve.
Khushi decided to engage him in talking hoping to delay this as much as possible. Somewhere in the corner of her mind she still had some hope left.
 ‘Why do you hate Arnavji so much?’
‘Why do I hate him so much?’ Shyam repeated the question, contemplating over it for a few seconds, ‘Alright….. you are going to be my wife so I might as well tell you.’

‘I lived in this very house as a child,’ he began, ‘My father worked for Arnav’s dad in his estate. One day he took me to their haveli. I immediately fell in love with it. As I stood staring at it, I saw two children playing with each other. Then, a beautiful lady came out and hugged them with love and affection. It was Anjali and Arnav with their mother. All three of them went up to an expensive car and drove away while I stood there gaping at them.
 I went back home that day I realized what kind of a dump I lived in. They travelled by car and went to very good schools, while I had to walk 4 kms every day to get to my government school. Their mother doted on them while my mom was too tired working in other people’s houses as a maid. In the middle of all this I had to bear the brunt of my alcoholic father beating up on my mother and me in the throes of his drunken state. As the years passed by I began to hate them.
His face was unemotional as he continued, ‘One day, my father did us a favour and kicked the bucket. My mother took me away to the city where she had relatives. She somehow managed to put me through college by being at their mercy. I hated each and every one of those bastards who made me feel like I was a beggar. After I studied law I moved to Delhi where I practiced civil law.
During my practice I saw how the rich people manipulated their way in society. How they got respect, power, position ---- all because they were rich. I wanted to be like them. Someone up there heard me, because I accidently stumbled into Anjali one day at the temple. When I found out she was the same Anjali who used to live in Lucknow, I felt vindicated. I finally had my chance to move in high societies that I only dreamed of.
His face twisted in derision as he came out of his reverie. ‘Manipulating Anjali was a cake walk. I entered their family as the most adored son-in-law. I had the last laugh didn’t it? I, their son-in-law was actually the son of their servant-----and they had no idea about it. There was no one who could reveal my true identity. My mother had died by then, my only link to my unprivileged background.These condescending rich people deserved it.
‘But after a while, their patronising behaviour began to grate on my nerves. Especially, Arnav’s over possessiveness about his sister. He wanted his sister to live in the lap of luxury right in front of his eyes and had provided me with a monthly income so that I could maintain her in a way she deserved.
‘The day I saw you, everything changed Khushiji. I no longer wanted to be with Anjali. I wanted to be with you. But he had to interfere even in this. He married you and took you away from me.
‘Anjali loves him more than she does me ……..and you ……… I just hate him for that!’

Khushi realized that Shyam’s thoughts were no longer rational. He was driven by insane jealousy since childhood which was very difficult to overcome in adulthood. But she wanted to remove the screen of self-pity he had around him.‘You hate him just because he happened to be born in better circumstances than you? That is so lame! Don’t blame your circumstances for all your misdeeds. Great people have often risen from ashes.
Arnavji may have been born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but what he is today is solely due to his hard work and determination. From what I have heard, hebuilt AR industries single handed ---- from scratch. His friend *Karan told me that he worked while he put himself through college. And from what I have seen of him in the past year, he runs his business with sheer intelligence and hard work. And that is how he provides for his family and for people like you who live off him!
He is a fiercely protective brother, a caring grandson, a responsible nephew and according to his college friend Karan, a loyal friend too. He has always shown respect for my side of the family and has never intentionally harmed anyone as long as I have known him.’

Shyam’s vicious smile surfaced again. ‘Oh Khushiji ----- so much love for someone who will never love you back? Arnav isn’t capable of love. I have seen him move from one woman to the other ----- not one has ever touched his heart. You could ask Lavanya. I have no doubt he made you feel very special ----- ‘This time Shyam’s smile had a leer in it. ‘He is probably very good as a lover, as I am sure you have already discovered. But the truth is that Arnav has never been faithful to any woman in his life. He is greedy, you see he can’t be content with one when there are so many ready to fall into his hands. Oh, I have no doubt why he wants you --- your exquisite beauty tempts his rather jaded appetite -----  but when the bloom’s worn off he’ll discard you like a broken toy and never give you another thought. He is damaged Khushiji ------ just like his dad.’
Shyam suddenly took a blob of haldi in his hand and advanced toward Khushi, ‘Now enough of all this talk! It is time for haldi.’

‘Step away from her right now!’ Arnav’s strong voice echoed in the small room. He looked at Khushi looking frail and weak. His anger rose up at the sight.

‘Arnav! You just don’t want to accept that Khushiji and I love each other very much do you? Good! We will have one more witness at our wedding.’
Khushi’s heart lurched at the sight of Arnav. He came! But why?
‘Stop this nonsense Shyam! The police are going to be here very soon. We know everything.’
‘How? You ….you have no proof!’
‘Khushi’s dad is at the police station giving his statement. He has regained use of his hands. So your game is up Shyam, just let Khushi go now.’
Khushi happiness surged when she heard that her dad was ok, she stood up quickly and took a step toward Arnav. Suddenly, Shyam grabbed her arm in a tight grip.
‘Do you think I was so stupid that I wouldn’t be prepared for a situation like this? Look behind you Arnav!’

Two men came up behind Arnav ‘You wouldn’t do that Shyam! You say you love her right?’
‘But I will kill her rather than let her go to you!’
‘Okay wait……listen…… I have my cheque book right here. I will give you a blank cheque. You get to fill any amount you like. Leave Khushi here and leave. I promise you that I will call off the police as well.’
Shyam’s brain began to work as he saw Arnav signing the cheque. The offer seemed too tempting to let go.
‘Hand over the cheque to Khushiji.’
‘Now let her go Shyam!’
‘You think I am a fool Arnav? I will never let you have Khushiji. She will be mine, one way or the other! Take him away and kill him!’

When Khushi saw Arnav being taken away she pleaded to Shyam, ‘No please….. I am ready to marry you. Just let him go!’
‘Why Khushiji? Why don’t you love me?’
 Shyam’s eyes had turned blank as he talked, ‘You know where I first saw you Khushiji? It was at that TV shop where you stood looking at the video footage of you falling in Arnav’s arms. I was living a life of luxury married to Anjali but I couldn’t stop thinking about you.’
When Khushi realized his intentions she made a run for it and locked herself in the small room. Shyam was furious by now. He began to kick at the door. He managed to break it open after a few tries.
Moving so quickly she couldn’t react, he had her pinned to the cot, his hands pressing into her shoulders, hurting her.
‘No! Please don’t!’
He smiled at her cruelly and increased his grip on her. ‘It’s too late to beg now Khushiji. I wanted to do it the right way by marrying you. But Arnav had to butt in, didn’t he? He married you just to make you unavailable for me.
‘No!’ She screamed and tried to kick him, but he sat on her thighs, anchoring them to the cot while he lifted one hand from her shoulder to touch her face. ‘Where is he now? I will have you now while he is helpless and fighting for his own life outside.’
Khushi realized the futility of her begging, her hand inched toward the small piece of mirror that she had tied into a knot earlier and one quick movement flicked it across his face, making a deep cut on his cheek. Shyam screamed in pain. His anger doubled and he and immediately closed his fingers around her neck, squeezing the life out of her. Khushi’s fingers flexed and clenched as she struggled for breath. He body arched as her lungs sought air.
‘If you try any more tricks I will kill you.’ he rasped bringing his bloody face toward her.

With no warning, no sound, nothing, Arnav bounded through the room door. Before Shyam had time to register his unexpected appearance, Arnav kicked him in the head.

The kick lifted Shyam off the floor like a character in an animated cartoon. He landed a few feet from Khushi, rolled on to his back, and tried to sit up. The side of his head just above his ear was bleeding. He slapped his hand to it and gaped at Arnav as though he had come back from the dead.

Arnav stood there his clothes torn and covered in dust.  He had a bloody nose and cut and bruises all over. His eyes were darkly shadowed and they looked murderous as he kept them locked on Shyam.
He was lucky that Shyam’s henchmen had been amateurs. He had never thought that the marital arts skills he had learnt during college daus would come in handy today with these idiots.
Initially one of them had managed to land some punches on him, making his nose bleed, while the other had held his hands behind his back. He had used this as a support to use the strength of both legs to give his attacker a hard kick in his gut. As the man doubled over in pain, Arnav had used his entire body strength to bend his back, throwing the second man over him. After that, he  had punched him in the face, breaking his jaw in the process. As he lay on the floor dazed and writhing in agony, Arnav went back to check on the first man. He had passed out holding his stomach.

‘Khushi?’ Arnav’s voice was gravelly.
‘Arnavji…..’ Khushi muttered weakly.
‘It’s ok. I am here now.’ Keeping his eyes trained on Shyam, he helped her stand up. ‘Are you ok?’
‘Yes.’
Arnav walked up to Shyam and bore down on him, who had regained some of his wits ans was trying to scramble away. Arnav reached down with his right hand, grabbed a handful of Shyam’s shirt, and hauled him up, then let go  just long enough to smash his fist into Shyam’s face. The blow spun him around. He stumbled and landed hard, face-first, against the wall, then practically bounced off it.
Arnav covered the back of the man’s head with his wide hand and slammed his face into the wall. Twice. He punched him once in the kidney, causing Shyam to scream, then grabbed his shoulder and turned him around, stapling him to the wall with the fingers of his left hand around his neck.
His face was a bleeding pulp. His eyes were wild with fright. Arnav said, ‘I should choke you death very slowly.’
He was also hurt very badly, but his grip on Shyam remained inescaple.
‘I want to kill you. I want to tear you heart out with my bare hands. But I won’t because I don’t want you to get off that lightly. You don’t deserve a quick death.
‘No. I want you to live a long time. I want you to rot in jail. I want you to be tortured there so badly that you will beg for death. You cheated on the woman who loved you more than life itself and then tried to kill her. You tried to kill heart patient by not giving him his medication. You were going to rape the same girl you claimed to love! What are you?’ His voice cracked, ‘And when die, you will go straight to hell and burn for eternity, you miserable piece of shit.’

‘Mr Raizada! That’s enough!…… we will take over from here.’
Two men dressed in police uniform walked into the room, gun pointed at Arnav and Shyam.
‘Are you okay madam?’ asked the police inspector.
‘Yes…’ Khushi began to sway her hand on her head.
Arnav rushed over to her and swept her up in his arms.
‘I am taking Khushi to the hospital and then drop her home. I will come back to the police station after that.’ he rasped out.
 ‘Put me down Arnavji…..I can walk’ said Khushi weakly.

‘Shut up Khushi!’ Arnav began to walk in quick strides wanting to Khushi away from this nightmare as fast as his legs could take him.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm!!! Is Khushi going to forgive Arnav that easily? He does not deserve Khushi's love and Loyalty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arnav does not deserve khushi and her loyalty. Even after knowing the whole truth of Shyam, he sat beside his sister for a long time and heard her sob story.... he is not as much in love with khushi as she is with him

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘My wife is in there Mr Sharma, I am not going to sit here twiddling my thumbs.’ well- this statement came too late. he definitely loves her.. but not much. even after realising that Khushi is missing, he was so calm as if it is some long distant friend or relative. this is so weird. I expected him to get all hyper. but even here, he sat for long with his no good di listening to her story.. telling her his story. He has a personal chopper, but did not use it to travel to Lucknow immediately. they all travelled together like for a family vacation. no desperation visible.

    ReplyDelete